Saturday, March 28, 2009

Independent Consulting

Have you been laid off recently? Looking for a job but hesitant to accept something if you are not sure it's a perfect match for your career goals? Why not consider a short term consulting assignment? This can be a great, low-risk way to get to know a potential future employer, broaden your experience, while earning some much needed income and keeping your options open as you continue your job search.
I fell into consulting almost by accident after being laid off last spring. My project leads all came via personal contacts from previous jobs, who knew my experience and skill set well. While consulting, I enjoyed being able to keep a flexible schedule that allowed me to juggle several assignments, job interviews and still make time for leisure activities during the day. One of my consulting assignments resulted in an offer of a permanent position, which I was happy to take having had the benefit of several months' experience with the company, its people and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment